Monday, January 25, 2010

Vitamins

I wanted to open with this..."Blooming Beauty". This reminds me of Lily Grace growing everyday. She is the "blooming beauty" that is a part of me.


Before pregnancy, I took extra folic acid, one a day women's, extra calcium, fish oil with Omega 3's, and B-complex. I switched to Prenatal Vitamins when I found out I was pregnant.


Even though Prenatal Vitamins contain the essential nutrients necessary for mommy and baby, studies show more supplements added during pregnancy and after pregnancy can be helpful.
I started taking 1 fish oil every other day, during the last trimester. The prenatal vitamins have Omega-3's which is the fish oil but I and Lily Grace could benefit from extra. I did some research and found the following: Omega-3's are "important during the final trimester, when your baby uses Omega 3 to form about 70% of his or her brain, nervous system and retinas" (Web MD).


I take 1 B-complex everyday,"essential for cell metabolism and central nervous system maintenance" (Web MD).


I take 2 of Calcium with D. "Calcium during pregnancy can prevent a new mother from losing her own bone density, as the foetus uses the mineral for bone growth." (wed-md)


Recently the protocol for vitamin D levels have gone up. I received a call telling me my Vitamin D level was right under the new recommended dosage. Even with my prenatal vitamins and my extra calcium, my blood work showed I needed even more Vitamin D. My doctor put me on a weekly Vitamin D (5,000iu's). She said this should also help with my fatigue.


My doctor said with new recommended dosage of Vitamin D, after Lily Grace is born I should continue to take Vitamin D-1,000 iu's.



Speaking of fatigue, I've been on an Iron prescription since Thanksgiving. I was told I was anemia. "Amemia is a low level of red blood cells that can cause fatigue and other symptoms" (Web MD) Iron can help with anemia.

No comments:

Post a Comment